Sunday, December 12, 2010

Greg's Wedding Vows

Melynda and I renewed our wedding vows after 20 years of marriage. We will enclose an update shortly but I wanted to write out my personal wedding vows to remind and keep me accountable to them. I thank God for His guidance in our lives through the good times and storms of our marriage relationship. We both understand that we would not have made it without Him - God was and is the key. It also helps that Melynda is so lovable and I know how to do the laundry ;)

Onto my vows;


"My beloved Melynda, my Luv, L-U-V, you know what I mean. Almost 20 years ago, we committed to love one another forever and today we renew our love. But there is a huge difference in who we were then and who we are today."

I paused here and told her that "20 years ago, you were beautiful but today, wow, you are captivating." (and she was, is)

"To shed some light on how we have changed - I want to read a romantic quote from one of our favorite movies The Notebook - because it is how I feel about you.

"The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes
us reach for more, a love that plants a fire in our hearts, and a love
that brings peace to our minds and that is what you have given me."

You have awakened my soul, brought peace to my mind, and definitely placed a fire in my heart. But I believe this quote points to One who is greater than even our love - our Abba Father.

Let me read it again - 1st part; "The best kind of love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more" - I tried to love you without Jesus but I was inadequate. With God in me, He awakened my soul and gives me the desire to love you better.

2nd part - "A love that plants a fire in our hearts" - that fire from God has helped us - helped you to persevere through our tough times and for that, I thank you.

3rd part - "A love that brings peace to our minds" - God has given me a peace to rest in the fact that with His help, we will continue together as husband and wife forever.


Have I told you yet how beautiful you are? When I spend my quiet time with the Lord, He always points me toward you. It seems my #1 priority in life is not to be a great preacher (although it may happen) or a great missionary (that has happened, just kidding), but my purpose is to love you so much, unconditionally, that you will know how much God adores you, He always has and always will.

So in front of God, family, and friends; I am here to help you achieve all your dreams. I, Greg Burge, promise to love you forever, protect you always, and cherish you for the rest of your days. In sickness and health, for richer or poorer, I give myself to you completely and look forward to growing older with you and even more gray.

Te amo mi amor,

Siempre,

Greg

1 comment:

a girl with a smile said...

this is beautiful Thank you for painting a picture of true love