Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Monthly Challenge...

As many of you know, we have added a column on our newsletter which is the "Challange of the Month". The challenge changes from month to month and while we issue the challenge to each of our readers we also follow through with the challenge. I wanted to share with you the results from one of those.

In March the challenge was to go beyond yourself to reach out to a person in need. We know that the economy has many of you looking for ways to trim your budget just as it done to us, but we know that we are to trust God in all our situations no matter what the circumstances may be. It is yet another trial that gives us an opportunity to stretch our faith and continue to show and share God's love.

Most of the time when we reach out beyond ourselves and help another we do not get to see just how far our act of kindness reaches however, in this case, God allowed me to find out just what He was able to do with my willingness to reach out to another.

I had prayed that God would show me a way to reach out to someone in need. We help a lot of people here in the DR but sometimes I just want to do something random, something new, something different. As I was preparing for a team to come and stay in our home and writing a grocery list I heard the Holy Spirit tell me to make a list for Marisol. I was taken back for a moment though I quickly realized that this was the person I was to help. Marisol is a single Mom with 2 girls, she runs a hair salon out of a room of her rented home. She seems to struggle to make ends meet, as do so many others.

Two days later, when I went to the grocery store, I purchased food for her and took it to her house. When I walked in to deliver the groceries to her she was talking with a friend. She stood and asked me what I was doing and I told her that God told me to get the groceries for her and that they were a gift from God. She looked a little stunned. She asked me why? I told her that God loves her and that He wanted her to have them. I could see the welling of tears in her eyes. While I was unloading the bags of groceries from my arms the Lord spoke to me and told me to leave some money with her as well. I didn't think that I had enough money on me but I looked at what I had left and it was exactly what God said to give so I gave it all to her. I gave her a hug, told her again that God loved her, and that I would see her again soon. Leaving her home I felt a little lighter on my feet and my heart was full of joy! That was an awesome feeling and both of us were blessed, but God was not finished.

A friend of mine saw her a week or two later and noticed that there was a difference in her posture and facial expression. She asked Marisol what was different and Marisol shared with her what God had done. The day that I visited her and she was talking to her friend she had been telling her friend that she was giving up and that she thought God had forgotten all about her and her struggles. Her friend was trying to encourage her and tell her that God did love her and had not forgotten about her. A few moments later I walked in with arms loaded with groceries and a financial gift having NO idea all that she was thinking or feeling, but God did! She cried after I left, and she decided to go to church that very Sunday and gave her life to Jesus Christ. She knew that God did/does indeed love her and that He is watching out for her every need. Now she has her children going and even her boyfriend. She is on fire for God, sharing her story with everyone she meets. she even has a Bible out on her station so that when people see it and ask questions she has another opportuinty to share what God has done in her life! It is awesome! God is Awesome!!!!

I am so thankful to God that He shared with me what He had done in her. It could not have come at a better time for her and the revealation of it all could not have come at a better time for me, as I was struggling with the fact that Brittany was leaving home to start in her new adventure with God.

1 comment:

T M said...

Yay! God is awesome!! You rock!